Week 10 Assignment – Alternatives to Detention
Youth.gov (n.d.) reported that a recent study indicates that nearly two million juveniles are processed through juvenile courts across the United States each year. Depending on the nature of the crime, juveniles may face detention if they are adjudicated delinquent. Given that the aim of the juvenile justice system is to rehabilitate, and many courts are reluctant to detain criminal offenders, judges often consider alternatives to detention. Such alternatives save taxpayer dollars while ensuring offender accountability and imposing sanctions for criminal behavior.
If you work in the field of juvenile justice, an awareness of the differences between the juvenile and adult systems and the use of correct terminology are critically important. In this assignment, you will examine the differences between the juvenile and adult system and alternatives to detention for juveniles.
Write a 2–3 page paper in which you:
- Explain, using original paraphrasing, three differences between the juvenile justice system and the adult criminal justice system.
- Describe three alternatives to detention that juvenile courts currently use, with examples of such alternatives in practice.
- Discuss clearly and succinctly the individual benefits of imposing sanctions or punishments that do not involve removing a juvenile offender from their family or community.
- Support your writing with at least three credible, relevant, and appropriate sources.
- Cite each source on your source list at least once within your assignment.
- Format your citations in accordance with Strayer Writing Standards.
- For help with research, writing, and citation, access the library or review library guides.
- Write clearly and concisely in a manner that is well organized, grammatically correct, and free of spelling, typographical, formatting, and/or punctuation errors.
This course requires the use of Strayer Writing Standards. For assistance and information, please refer to the Strayer Writing Standards link in the left-hand menu of your course. Check with your professor for any additional instructions.
The specific course learning outcome associated with this assignment is:
- Examine the juvenile court process and alternatives for detention.
Youth.gov. No date. Youth Involved With the Juvenile Justice System. https://youth.gov/youth-topics/juvenile-justice/youth-involved-juvenile-justice-system